Update: Given the current situation with managing the impact of the coronavirus we are seeking your co-operation and consideration. We ask that you exercise patience and understanding in case our services fall below expectations or responses to complaints are extended. We will communicate with you to keep you updated.

We appreciate that this is a challenging time for customers and colleagues whilst we continue to focus on delivering the essential services and providing services to our most vulnerable customers.

We know that sometimes things can go wrong and that you may become dissatisfied with our services.

You can make a complaint if you have requested or received a service from us, or if you represent someone who has. You can also complain to us if you or someone you represent has been affected by our services.

We have fully adopted the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman’s ‘model complaint handling procedure’. 

What is a complaint?

We view complaints as any expression of dissatisfaction about our action or lack of action, or about the standard of service provided by us or on our behalf. 

What can I complain about?

You can complain about things like: 

  • Delays in responding to your enquiries and requests
  • Failure to provide a service
  • Our standard of service
  • Treatment by or attitude of a member of staff or someone working on our behalf 
  • Our failure to follow proper process.

What can’t I complain about?

Some things are resolved through different procedures. These include:

  • A routine first-time request for a service, for example reporting a problem that needs to be repaired or initial action on anti-social behaviour.
  • Requests for compensation.
  • Our policies and procedures that have a separate right of appeal.
  • An attempt to reopen a previously concluded complaint or to have a complaint reconsidered where we have already given our final decision following a Stage 2 investigation. If you are still not satisfied, you can ask the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman for an independent review of the complaint.

How do I complain? 

You can complain:

  • On our website
  • By Email
  • In writing
  • Or in person

How long do I have to make a complaint? 

Normally, you must make your complaint within six months of:

  • The event you want to complain about or;
  • Finding out that you have a reason to complain, no longer than 12 months after the event itself.

In exceptional circumstances, we may be able to accept a complaint after the time limit. If you feel that the time limit should not apply to your complaint please tell us why.

Our complaints procedure has two stages:

Stage 1 — Frontline resolution

We aim to resolve complaints quickly and close to where we provided the service. This could mean an on-the-spot apology and explanation if something has clearly gone wrong and immediate action to resolve the problem.

We will give you our decision at Stage 1 within five working days, unless there are exceptional circumstances. If we can’t resolve your complaint at this stage, we will explain why. If you are not satisfied you can ask for your complaint to be investigated further through Stage 2.

Stage 2 — Investigation

Stage 2 deals with two types of complaint: 

  • Those that have not been resolved at Stage 1
  • Those that are complex and require detailed investigation. 

When using Stage 2 we will:

  • Acknowledge receipt of your complaint within three working days.
  • Discuss your complaint with you and understand why you remain dissatisfied and what outcome you are looking for.
  • Give you a full response to the complaint as soon as possible and within 20 working days.

If our investigation will take longer than 20 working days, we will tell you. We will agree revised time limits with you and keep you posted on progress.

What if I’m still not satisfied?

If after the investigation you are not satisfied with our decision or the way we dealt with your complaint, you can ask the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) to look at it.

The SPSO cannot usually look at:

  • A complaint that has not completed our complaints procedure so please make sure you have done so before contacting
    the SPSO.
  • Events that happened, or that you became aware of more than a year ago.
  • A matter that has been considered in court.

Scottish Public Services Ombudsman

In person: SPSO,
Bridgeside House,
99 McDonald Road,
EH7 4NS.

Open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday 9am – 5pm; Tuesday 10am – 5pm.

By post: Freepost SPSO (This is all you need to write on the envelope, and you don’t need to use a stamp).

By phone: Freephone 0800 377 7330

Online: www.spso.org.uk

Reporting a significant performance failure to the Scottish Housing Regulator

The Scottish Housing Regulator (SHR) can consider issues raised with them about ‘significant performance failures’.

A significant performance failure is defined by the SHR as something that a landlord does or fails to do that puts the interests of its tenants at risk, and which the landlord has not resolved. This is something that is a systematic problem that does, or could, affect all of a landlord’s tenants. If you are affected by a problem like this, you should first report it to us. If you have told us about it but we have not resolved it, you can report it directly to the SHR. 

A complaint between an individual tenant and a landlord is not a significant performance failure. 

The SHR also has more information:

Visit www.housingregulator.gov.scot or phone 0141 271 3810

We will adopt the new SPSO Complaints Handling Model by the deadline of March 2021.

Getting help to make your complaint

We understand that you may be unable, or reluctant, to make a complaint yourself. We can take complaints from a friend,
relative or an advocate, if you have given them your consent to complain for you. 

You can find out about advocates in your area by contacting the Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance or Citizens Advice Bureau.

Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance

Tel: 0131 524 1975
Visit: www.siaa.org.uk

Citizens Advice Scotland

Visit: www.cas.org.uk or check your phone book for your local bureau.

Complaints performance

We value complaints and use the information from them to learn lessons and make changes to improve our services.